- Biological Sciences
- Construction Materials Testing/Engineering
- Cultural Sciences
- Detailed Design & Construction—Design/Build/Management
- EHS Compliance & Management Systems
- Energy and Renewables
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Health & Safety/Industrial Hygiene
- Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessment
- Information Management
- Information Management (IM) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- M&A & Due Diligence Consulting
- Ore Evaluation Services
- Permitting and Stakeholder Engagement
- Planning / Design / Landscape Architecture
- Project & Program Management
- Property Development/Redevelopment
- Site Remediation
Reid Highway Extension
Middle Swan, Perth, Western Australia
|Services||Geotechnical Engineering, – soil and rock mechanics, soil rock and mining engineering|
In November 2004 the State Government in Western Australia (WA) announced plans to extend Reid Highway through Middle Swan by constructing a 2.6 km dual carriageway between West Swan Road and Great Northern Highway. The design allows for a six-lane freeway with grade separated interchanges, to include provision for a public transport system in the median and revised diamond interchange at the intersection of Great Northern Highway.
Golder Associates were commissioned by Macmahon Contractors for geotechnical and ground improvement design.
A thick lift or full depth asphalt pavement design was used for the main highway alignment. The Reid Highway was one of the first major projects in WA to use thick lift pavements instead of granular pavements with thin bituminous surfacing. Thick lift pavements are commonly used in the Eastern States of Australia.
Traditionally the site would have required a lengthy preloading process to consolidate compressible material before loads were placed. However, Golder developed a geotechnical solution for ground improvement for the bridge abutment foundations that could be achieved within the construction time constraints.
Golder achieved settlement within Macmahon's construction schedule through estimating settlements within the required time-frame using deep soil mixed (DSM) columns. Reid Highway opened to traffic in February 2010.
The Reid Highway Extension Project was Highly Commended in the 2011 Concrete Institute of Australia Awards.